[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Need help with edit/merge overlay profile for batch importing

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Thu Oct 13 10:07:44 EDT 2011

Hi all,

One of our libraries has informed us they are getting their own subscription
to Overdrive, departing from our group consortial subscription. Since they
will have a unique URL for their patrons, and since many of their titles
will probably be the same as ours, I need to be able to load their MARC
records, have them match on the existing bibs, and add their 856 to the
existing record. The result will be at least 2 856 tags, one with their URL
and one with the Bibliomation URL. We will be using subfield 9 with their
system short name to allow their link to show only in their catalog, while
our 856 will contain a string of subfields 9 for the other subscribing
libraries in our group subscription.

However, I can't seem to work out the right settings for the Edit/Merge
Overlay Profile in the Evergreen client. The obvious one to me would be the
"Add" line. I entered "856" on that line and saved the profile, but when I
use it, the records will not merge or overlay. They will not import at all.
My import settings were "Merge on single match" and I specified the merge
profile I had created.

Thinking outside the box, I tried entering 856 in both the "Preserve" and
"Add" lines. This time the records imported, but did not add the extra 856.

I know I don't want to use "Replace." That will remove our 856  and put the
single library's in.

Is there anyone out there that can help me work this out?

Thanks,

Mary

Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager