[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Failing to install 2.1 with separate database

Martha Driscoll driscoll at noblenet.org
Tue Oct 25 08:36:14 EDT 2011

Joe,
I have Evergreen running on one server and postgres 9.0 running on a
separate server.  On the database server, I download
Evergreen-ILS-2.1.0a, but you could copy create_database.sql to your
database machine.  The install instructions also say you can run
create_database.sql from your evergreen machine, but you need
postgresql-contrib-9.0 installed (so you have those tablefunc.sql etc
files).

On the database server, I ran the create_database.sql script:

cd /home/opensrf/Evergreen-ILS-2.1.0a
psql -vdb_name=evergreen -vcontrib_dir=`pg_config --sharedir`/contrib -f
Open-ILS/src/sql/Pg/create_database.sql

The create_database.sql script does the database creation steps which
used to be in the installation instructions.  Namely,

createdb -T template0 --lc-ctype=C --lc-collate=C -E UNICODE evergreen
createlang plperl   evergreen
createlang plperlu  evergreen

psql -f /usr/share/postgresql/9.0/contrib/tablefunc.sql evergreen
psql -f /usr/share/postgresql/9.0/contrib/tsearch2.sql  evergreen
psql -f /usr/share/postgresql/9.0/contrib/pgxml.sql     evergreen
psql -f /usr/share/postgresql/9.0/contrib/hstore.sql    evergreen

You then run eg_db_config.pl on your evergreen server but without the
--create-database option.

It sounds like you may have postgresql 9.1 client on your evergreen
machine and 9.0 server on your database machine?  That may be a problem.

I also had to tell postgres to listen for connections on all interfaces
in /etc/postgresql/9.0/main/postgresql.conf:

listen_addresses = '*'

I also had to allow my other host to connect (it's on the same subnet as
my database server) in /etc/postgresql/9.0/main/pg_hba.conf:

# Evergreen servers
# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            CIDR-ADDRESS            METHOD
host    all             all             samenet                 trust

I hope this helps.

--
Martha Driscoll
Systems Manager