[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Getting network failure errors when saving large MARC files (EG master, post 2.1)

Brian Greene BGreene at cgcc.cc.or.us
Wed Oct 26 18:56:22 EDT 2011

Some more background on our experiences with these issues and a couple
of workarounds for the oversized error messages:

A couple of months ago I painstakingly went over a handful of problem
records and was pretty convinced the issue manifested when a given
record had 70 or more fields. But then that theory broke apart, I think
because it also occurs when some fields contain a lot of data. Neither
explanation (number of fields or amount of data) makes a lot of sense to
me since even with really large records we're talking about a relatively
small amount of space/characters/whatever.

Additionally, when I first encountered the problem over the summer a
librarian at the location where our servers are housed WAS able to add
the record, which made me think it was a distance related networking
issue. I gather she's since run into the same problem though, which
would seem to rule out that theory.

Workarounds for the oversized error messages:

1) Alt +F4.

2) On the cataloging network failures Alt+F4 sometimes won’t work, I
think because the message requires you to click a box to confirm you got
the message before you can close.  Here’s a good trick:

Click anywhere in the body of the message
TAB        (Moves cursor to the confirmation box)
SPACEBAR           (Puts a checkmark in the confirmation box)
TAB        (Moves cursor to close button)
SPACEBAR           (Submits close command)

>>> "Brian Greene" <BGreene at cgcc.cc.or.us> 10/26/2011 12:09 PM >>>
We try a few things: reduce the size of the record until it will save
(leaving an incomplete record); ask someone at a different location
(i.e. another city) to try saving it and/or try saving it at a later
time. Sometimes saving from a different location or waiting until the
next morning works, but not consistently. We've thought of a number of
possible causes - most recently the inclusion of a 246 field - but I
haven't pursued that explanation and the others didn't hold up.

I'm not sure about our max_stanza_size, but our system administrator is
on this list and can probably provide that info once she sees this
thread.

Brian

On Oct 26, 2011, at 12:29 PM, Brian Greene wrote:

> Yamil,
>
> You are not alone - many libraries in the Sage consortium regularly

> encounter a network failure when trying to save large bib records.
> Likewise, the error message window we get is often too tall for
> typical screen resolution.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> Columbia Gorge Community College Library

Brian,

Do you guys have a workaround to save changes to those records? Do you

know your max_stanza_size?

Thanks in advance,
Yamil