[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Evergreen Development

Steve Wills swills at beyond-print.com
Thu Apr 5 12:53:03 EDT 2012

Hassan,

To give you a more useful answer to your IDE question, I tried using Eclipse for a while but found that Evergreen contains so many different languages and parts that I felt hobbled by the 'Integration' of that environment.

My development servers are Amazon EC3 slices using Ubuntu AMI's. Since I work on a Mac, I tend to work in code using the Textwrangler editor, which has sftp builtin as well as code formatting templates for C, Perl, PHP, Java and Javascript, all of which one encounters running around in the gutz of Evergreen-ILS. When shelling onto the server to use Vim or psql, I like iTerm. I broke down and bought Navicat to help with postgres and mysql when wearing my DBA hat. Finally, I manage git with SourceTree which does a great job of remembering the git commands for me. I'm sure others do it differently. I'd be curious to hear about their preferred development suites.

Stev3 'not THAT grey' Wills