[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Canceled holds notices?

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Wed Apr 18 14:25:05 EDT 2012

It should be possible to notify patrons via email if a hold is canceled,
though I'm not sure it does this automatically.  At the very least,
there appear to be hook events that make sense in this case, such as:

hold_request.cancel.expire_holds_shelf - A hold is cancelled because it
was on the holds shelf too long
hold_request.cancel.expire_no_target - A hold is cancelled because no
copies were found
hold_request.cancel.patron - A hold is cancelled by the patron
hold_request.cancel.staff - A hold is cancelled because it was cancelled
by staff

That covers four different ways that a hold can be canceled.  This hook
would then lead to a potential email notification to the patron
informing them of what happened.

I don't see examples of this in our system, so I can't provide you with
a live sample right now.  In theory though, this would be something
configurable through the "Notifications / Action Triggers" part of Local
Administration options in Evergreen through crafting a custom event
definition that uses those hooks to act on.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum
Open Source Software Coordinator