[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Open Source

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Fri Apr 20 13:57:11 EDT 2012

What perfect timing, Jeffrey.  I'm doing a presentation at the upcoming
Evergreen Conference that will be held in Indianapolis (April 24-28) and
will share the names of people/companies interested in working on
Evergreen.  I'm happy to include your company.

To get started with Evergreen, I will give you the same advice I plan to
offer for new programmers that libraries may be hiring on their behalf:

1) lurk on the general and developer's mailing list (so far so good).  Info
on mailing lists here: http://evergreen-ils.org/listserv.php and IRC here:
http://evergreen-ils.org/irc.php

2) get Evergreen installed (lots of ways to easily get an instance running
here: http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=community_servers)

3) introduce yourself to developers on the IRC channel and technical
mailing list, and to the community on the general mailing list and let
people know you are available to help (as you've done)

And since you haven't been hired by a library to work on a specific piece
of work, you might want to see what needs doing via Launchpad where all the
bugs and wishlist items are tracked.  I did a search of open, unclaimed
bugs and wishlist items and found 161 candidates.  Here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/.

I've been trying to match a group of libraries I work with up with new
developers to get the new developers started with small, manageable
projects.  If you are really interested in doing something, let's talk.

Even better, let's talk at the Evergreen Conference. Are you busy next week?

Lori

Lori Bowen Ayre //
Library Technology Consultant / The Galecia Group
Oversight Board & Communications Committee / Evergreen
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com
Availability:  http://tungle.me/lori.ayre

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling