[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Viewing Patron Records

Fiona Borthwick fiona.borthwick at ptfs-europe.com
Tue Apr 24 11:55:32 EDT 2012

Hello Janine,

We recently fixed this for a Scottish consortium that we are working
with.  They are using EG version 2.1.0.  Presently the consortium has 2
public library authorities (already increasing with new members coming
on board soon) so it was essential that this area was addressed
efficiently.  The local authorities wanted to be able to retrieve ONLY
their own patron records and never see the patrons that belong to the
other local authority.

We experimented with permissions for a while before establishing that
they did not control this behaviour.

We initially looked at the patron opt-in feature which allows you to
restrict searching to your library branch ONLY (looks to the org unit
set as your workstation).  If this is in place, you can then opt-in
users from other branches if required.  This worked at 2.1 but was not a
satisfactory solution for our customers as they wanted to be able to see
patrons for all org units configured at their system level.  We believe
that this should be possible in Evergreen 2.2 as there is a further
enhancement to the opt-in feature which allows you to define the depth
of your search.  So it may be worth waiting until you can upgrade to 2.2
to test this.

In the meantime we were able to provide a solution by changing
server/patron/search_result.js to hard-code the search depth as our
customers were happy to only allow system searching across the board as
this protected their data in the right way for them.  The drop down list
allowing you to search Everywhere, Local System or Branch still displays
but does not have any function as the code is hard wired.

Hope this helps. Do let us know if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Fiona

--
Fiona Borthwick
Customer Services Consultant, PTFS Europe Limited

+44 (0) 800 756 6803  (phone)
+44 (0) 7540 768230  (mobile)
+44 (0) 800 756 6384 (fax)
fiona.borthwick at ptfs-europe.com