[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] TPAC question: getting "ebooks" as an option in formats

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Aug 3 11:19:16 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 10:17:32AM -0400, Soulliere, Robert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are investigating a method to get "ebooks" as a format option in our TPAC and I wonder if I could get some feedback on whether this is a good way to do this. Here is the method we are investigating:
>
> 1. Add a unique "type" entry using the MARC Code Value Map in the staff client.
>
> 2. Edit the Leader field of our electronic books to indicate that they are in the new "ebook" type. Currently most use "a" to indicate a book.
>
> I had a few question about this method:
>
> 1. Is there a better way to add the ebook as a format search option?
>
> 2. Are there potential dangers for us using this method? e.g. issues with future upgrades.
>
> 3. Is this kosher from a cataloguing perspective?

I think, from a cataloguing perspective, "form of material" (008/23) = "o"
(for online) or "s" (for general electronic, whether online or on a
CD-ROM or whatever) is what you want, per
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd008b.html

That maps over to 006/06 ("form of item"), per
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd006.html

I think.