[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] holds not picking up

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Wed Aug 8 07:36:01 EDT 2012

Hi Anne,

Which version of Evergreen are you using?  In more recent versions
(since 2.1.0 and upwards, I think), it's possible to use a special
"check-in modifier" (lower right corner of the check-in screen) to
enable the re-targeting of holds upon check-in of items.  This special
modifier is used when handling brand new material that gets added to an
Evergreen system.

Presently, holds are only targeted once every 24 hours based on the time
that the hold was initially placed first.  There's a field on the hold
table called "prev_check_time" (previous check time) that tells the
targeter to skip said hold until it passes that point.  So depending on
when the patron or staff created the hold, and then based on the
regularity of your hold targeter script, the availability of materials
that can fulfill a hold will vary greatly.  In our consortium, we run
our hold targeter every 15 minutes, but because of the 24 hour wait time
built into each hold, it still doesn't match brand new items to some
existing holds till the following day.  For example, a hold could be
created at 1 pm on Monday, a new item created to fill that hold on 2 pm
on Monday, but that hold won't target that new item till 1 pm on Tuesday
after the previous check time elapses and the hold targeter actually
does another check.

Another possibility is that whichever copy status that is being used
when processing books ordered and scanned in your first mentioned
approach is one that does not allow holds to be placed/processed on the
material.  You may want to double check that the copy status options are
all in order on your system as well and that holds are allowed on the
statuses you expect.

Hope this helps somewhat, please feel free to ask more questions. Holds
can be a little perplexing...

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum