[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] FW: Evergreen Suggestion

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Thu Aug 9 08:56:05 EDT 2012

Quoting Benjamin Kalish <bkalish at forbeslibrary.org>:

> Adding a color change or graphic would be great, but I would also very much
> like to see the reason for failure given whenever a hold can not be placed.
> Messages such as "Request failed because patrons account has expired" or
> "Request failed because logged in staff account does not have permission to
> place item hold on this item" would be vastly more useful than  "hold was
> not successfully placed."

As was mentioned in another email, Launchpad is where Evergreen
wishlist items should go. It is fine to discuss desires on this list.

Most wishlist bugs receive little to no attention, unless the person
opening the bug provides the code, or some else who is interested in
that feature provides it. Most of the regular Evergreen developers are
busy fixing other bugs or working on other features.

That being said, you can alter your color scheme and some graphics
rather easily with CSS changes (at least for JSPAC/TPAC).

You can also alter the messages that you mention by making changes in
various translation/strings files. It would not require code changes.
Telling you specifically which files to edit and how would be a bit
too involved for this email.

If you do decide to go down the path of customizing your Evergreen
installation, then I would highly recommend learning to use git (the
distributed version control system used by the Evergreen developers).
Learning to install Evergreen from git and managing your
customizations in git will make your life that much easier come the
inevitable upgrade.

HtH,
Jason

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services