[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Content ownership on web site

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Aug 15 16:35:04 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 08/14/2012 04:30 PM, Ben Shum wrote:
> With a volunteer driven community, it seems to be in our best interest
> to keep things open and available for anyone to work. While individuals
> and the contributions made by them matter a great deal, I think we're
> all meant to be equal participants and special emphasis on defined
> responsibilities may hinder the process more than enhance.

Would it help to refine the concept a bit and look for *editors*?  What
I'm suggesting is that while content ownership would be the overall
responsibility of the community and those folks with the inclination and
time to help with the website, the editors would be those people who
volunteer to:

* actively seek out and/or add content for their sections
* assist folks who want to contribute
* keep an eye on any updates to their section and, as needed, improve
any updates supplied by another contributor
* handle any periodic or time-sensitive updates (for example, the person
or persons who edit the downloads section would be on point whenever a
release is cut)

Editors would not necessarily have to act as gatekeepers if we agree to
distribute editing permissions broadly.  Also, if more than one person
want to help edit a section, I don't think there should be any bar to
having multiple editors.

Regards,

Galen
--