[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Content ownership on web site

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Fri Aug 24 18:27:46 EDT 2012

On Aug 15, 2012, at 15:35 , Galen Charlton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 08/14/2012 04:30 PM, Ben Shum wrote:
>> With a volunteer driven community, it seems to be in our best interest
>> to keep things open and available for anyone to work. While individuals
>> and the contributions made by them matter a great deal, I think we're
>> all meant to be equal participants and special emphasis on defined
>> responsibilities may hinder the process more than enhance.
>
> Would it help to refine the concept a bit and look for *editors*?  What I'm suggesting is that while content ownership would be the overall responsibility of the community and those folks with the inclination and time to help with the website, the editors would be those people who volunteer to:
>
> * actively seek out and/or add content for their sections
> * assist folks who want to contribute
> * keep an eye on any updates to their section and, as needed, improve any updates supplied by another contributor
> * handle any periodic or time-sensitive updates (for example, the person or persons who edit the downloads section would be on point whenever a release is cut)
>
> Editors would not necessarily have to act as gatekeepers if we agree to distribute editing permissions broadly.  Also, if more than one person want to help edit a section, I don't think there should be any bar to having multiple editors.

Galen, thanks for your input. We discussed this at the Web Team's meeting on 2012-08-16 and agreed to go forward with "content editor" as the title for this volunteer role.  We did not discuss specific responsibilities in great detail, so we will use the outline you provided to outline the responsibilities when we seek volunteers.  We may discuss the details further and edit the responsibilities list in the future if such need arises.

Alexey Lazar
PALS
Information System Developer and Integrator
507-389-2907
http://www.mnpals.org/