[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holds Functionality - Looking for Development Partners

Amy Terlaga terlaga at biblio.org
Thu Aug 16 10:08:16 EDT 2012

Hi all-

One of our multi-branch libraries is looking for additional holds
functionality so that holds between their branches work better than they
currently do.

Here's the situation, described by Ben Shum:

A library system has multiple branches, and each
owns their own copies/patrons.  Library A owns a copy of an item and
Library B does not.  But patrons from both A and B place holds against the
material.
Because of how holds target / opportunistically capture, the patrons at
Library A receive the item first while the item continues to circulate in
and out of Library A, while the patrons at Library B never get their
holds fulfilled.  It would be preferred that Library A's copy be used to
fill
holds for both Library A and B's patrons in the order the hold was placed
regardless of pickup location.

While we understand that having additional copies for each branch could
solve the issue, it may not be possible for the library to purchase and
assign copies to each branch.  Instead, they're hoping that it is
possible to re-prioritize holds within their system to follow a stricter
first-in,
first-out (FIFO) policy.  However, the concern has been made as to how
FIFO might adversely alter how the library system shares material with the
rest of the consortium.
----------------------------
There would need to be some way to fold in the other consortium's holds at
some point so that the library and its branches wouldn't become a walled off
entity within the consortium.

In talking with Equinox, we have learned that this functionality exists in
FulfILLment and that we could side-port it into Evergreen.  See Mike
Rylander's post here for a good explanation on the benefits of this new
holds functionality:

 http://blog.esilibrary.com/2012/04/16/sharing-code-is-caring/

There is some more work needed in both Calculated Proximity Adjustment and
Custom Best Hold Adjustment Order.

So what we're looking for now are additional development partners to
complete this development work and to side-port it into Evergreen.  If
you're interested in seeing this happen and would like to help make it
happen, please contact me at terlaga at biblio.org.  Any contributions would be
accepted.

Amy

Amy Terlaga