[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Next community meeting is 14 September 2012, 17:00 UTC+0

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Thu Aug 30 13:19:48 EDT 2012

Historically, the Community Meeting grew out of a need to disseminate
information from various groups and committees to a larger group of
people and it started as an extension of the Developer meetings
conducted regularly in IRC.  There was some discussion in those early
days about the format for community meetings and whether we should
continue to use IRC or find alternatives.  I don't recall anybody really
suggesting or volunteering alternatives at the time, but it never hurts
to refresh the discussion.  So I'm inclined to support trying new
approaches too.

Some logistical concerns with conference call though:

Looking back and doing a quick head count of people who identified
themselves during the last community meetings, we tend to have at least
12-20 participants (possibly more lurking).  Are individuals or
organizations in the community able to volunteer access to a conference
call line large enough to support that many (or more) simultaneous
participants?  Do we have to use some sort of professional meeting tool
like WebEx or similar?  Will the volunteers who setup the conference
line be tasked to also coordinate the running of the meeting, to avoid
having everybody talking at once, etc.?

I think Thomas also raises a good point about participant cross
communication issues with phone/IRC.  So bridging that gap would need to
be necessary as well.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum