[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Next community meeting is 14 September 2012, 17:00 UTC+0

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Thu Aug 30 13:23:21 EDT 2012

On Aug 30, 2012, at 11:44 , Anoop Atre wrote:

> Are we talking about having the community meeting on IRC and a conference call? I'd rather not go that route.

My suggestion was to have a conference call in parallel with the IRC chat line.

> We have been doing well with IRC meetings for the last few years and now with the meetbot it's a lot more efficient in keeping notes.

We can probably agree to disagree here, which is ok ;) From what I have observed, these meetings are slow-rolling and somewhat chaotic. A lot more can be covered by talking rather than by typing, and usually over telephone there is focus on one conversation/topic at a time, unlike over chat, which seems to spawn off several parallel conversations that make it harder to keep track of what is actually being discussed.

> I actually would like future web team meetings to be on IRC. It brings more transparency to the discussions and as I mentioned it's easier to keep meeting minutes.

When it comes to interpersonal communication, online chat is a blunt instrument inferior to using voice for a number of natural reasons. As far as transparency of web team meetings, that's a different topic altogether, not sure why you bring it up here.  The web team conference call is open to anyone in the community and if you feel like I miss something in the meeting notes, you have the opportunity to comment when I pass them around prior to sending to the web list, which is open to the public.

For me personally, it is easiest to chat using voice and to keep meeting minutes using pen and paper.