[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Next community meeting is 14 September 2012, 17:00 UTC+0

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Thu Aug 30 13:48:08 EDT 2012

> When it comes to interpersonal communication, online chat is a blunt instrument inferior to using voice for a number of natural reasons. As far as transparency of web team meetings, that's a different topic altogether, not sure why you bring it up here.  The web team conference call is open to anyone in the community and if you feel like I miss something in the meeting notes, you have the opportunity to comment when I pass them around prior to sending to the web list, which is open to the public.

There's also a cultural component here.  Open source communities are
online communities and tend to use the mediums found there (but yay
all the new stuff like VOIP and Google Hangouts!).  But we also have a
set of folks who are used to conference calls and face to face
meetings in their daily professional lives.  Communities tend to be
conservative, so both groups are going to want to use what works for
them.  If we had a group of folks who lived mostly in the
twitterverse, that is what they would advocate.  What mixing and
melding we do have between mediums happens naturally.  I don't expect
a forced melding of IRC + phone to go very well, but I'm willing to
let folks try it rather than argue about it.

--
Jason Etheridge
http://evergreen-ils.org