[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.2 and Authorities

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Wed Feb 8 09:38:14 EST 2012

Hi George,

Thanks for the linking-script information. I don't work much on the database
side, aside from running a few SQL queries, so this is good to know. I'll
talk to our systems guy about it.

As to the placeholder records, what I'm proposing is that the headings in
1xx, 6xx, 7xx, and 8xx be treated as quasi-authorized and generate brief acq
records. You're right, there would have to be a mechanism for
merging/overlaying those records when the full ones become available. Other
systems can do it. I'd like to see Evergreen develop in that direction.

The workflow as I would prefer is for us to do quarterly extracts of the
newest bib records added or updated during the previous 3 months. We  send
that to our authority control vendor, who returns them to us with authorized
headings in the bibs and full auth records that correspond to the headings.
We load those back to our database, replacing/merging/overlaying the bibs
and doing the same to existing brief auth records that had been
system-generated previously. Also, the vendor would provide us with auth
files for changed headings, and we would load those to replace/merge/overlay
previously loaded authority records.

Mary