[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.2 and Authorities

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Feb 7 17:46:35 EST 2012

Not sure how fully this would address your needs, but there is an auto-linking script that ships in the /support-scripts/ directory called "authority_control_fields.pl" - It can be used to populate your authority linking table and can be re-run following any significant imports to your authority entries (but re-running against entire database can take time).

We've taken the approach to automate this script on a weekly and/or monthly "cron-job" by re-running the above script against only new or modified bib records for that specified period. But we have already outsourced the creation / validation of our authority records from our bib data (so we're not adding any large batches of *new* authorities to match against).

Re: placeholder records: you make a good point regarding browse authority searching excluding non-authorized entries. On the one hand, it is intended to permit the browsing of authorized entries (say, authors) and it does that. But I can see how folks may want this new functionality more generalizable (e.g. browse index functionality - all entries vs. just browsing authorized entries, etc.). I'm also wondering whether the use of placeholder records will be creating more work later on (merging, overlaying, etc.) for the benefit of making the authority index browse more like a browse all entries index?

George

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Mary Llewellyn
Sent: February 7, 2012 16:25
To: Evergreen Discussion Group
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.2 and Authorities

Hi all,

Today I turned my attention to testing the new Authorities browse searching in Evergreen 2.2. I loaded some auth records through Vandelay and was able to search them in the browse search. But I'm uncertain about linking auth records to bibs; I see how to do it manually, but I'm hoping there's a way to have bibs link to auths as they are loaded, since it's not humanly possible to link manually link all the bibs with their respective auth records. Have I missed something, or is this still in development?

What would be nice is if the 1XX, 6xx, 7xx, and 8xx headings in the bib record would create placeholder auth records for headings as the bibs are loaded, which could be replaced/overlaid later with a load of full auth records from a vendor such as Backstage Library Works.
Otherwise, we'll have a lot of records not retrievable with those browse searches because their full auth records aren't in the system yet. We'd never be caught up.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager