[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Relevance ranking

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 11:27:33 EST 2012

On Feb 9, 2012 10:57 AM, "Kathy Lussier" <klussier at masslnc.org> wrote:

> Thanks Mike!
>
> >>What does removing #CD_uniqueWords do for you?
>
> Thank you! This tweak seemed to make a big difference. My search for
"dogs"
> no longer retrieves a bunch of records for puppets in my first page of
> results.

Great!

> For the logs, in case anyone else experiences this problem, I adjusted CD
> modifiers in the opensrf.xml file so that it now just says:
>
> <default_CD_modifiers>#CD_meanHarmonic</default_CD_modifiers>
>

> >>So, the problem (which may be obvious) is that shorter records (as
> >>brief records would be) provide a better match in terms of cover
> >>density, all else being equal.  There's nothing in there today to mark
> >>a record as brief per se (that is, "fast add" or the like) but that is
> >>one use for the bib source field.  There are probably may solutions to
> >>this problem, but I think an effective, though relatively large,
> >>hammer would be to sort any records that have a source above any
> >>records that don't.  Then, adjust ranking based on the quality field
> >>from the source -- perhaps with an over-under threshold value that
> >>provides a stark dividing line between "good" and "bad" sources.
> >>
> >>This would all be development, of course, though not particularly
> >>intensive.
>

> It would be interesting to look at other approaches since I'm guessing the
> tweak I made to push brief records lower in the list might negatively
impact
> relevancy among other records. However, this suggested change fixes just
one
> specific issue, and I would love to consider changes that improve the
> overall relevance of search results. For example, if I remember correctly,
> we previously could tweak settings in the search.relevance_ranking so that
> words appearing in a title or subject could be given more weight than
those
> appearing elsewhere in a record. Reintroducing that functionality (without
> negatively impacting search performance) would be a big step forward in
> returning more relevant results.

You do remember correctly, and that is all still there, just not in use by
default.  I would personally love to work on reducing the cost of those
features.

http://www.evilreads.com/blog/why-barnes-and-noble-is-doomed-in-one-screensh
> ot.html - about the shortcomings of Barnes and Noble's search algorithm.
If
> Evergreen were able to boost a record in the search results based on
> popularity, it would not only improve our specific issue with the brief
> records, but would also help out the patron who is searching "Lincoln" to
> find that book she just heard about on tv.
>
> Obviously, this would take development, but is it realistically feasible
> incorporate popularity metrics in the ranking without negatively impacting
> search speeds?

If it's treated as a nightly job that creates relative scoring adjustment
per record, say, then it is entirely doable.

> Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Thanks for bringing it back up!

--mike (at conference, from my phone)