[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] When changing metabib_field definitions how and when to reingest?

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:13:14 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Yamil Suarez <ysuarez at berklee.edu> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I am experimenting with the auto-suggest feature that ESI developed, using
> code from a Git branch they created based on master. The auto-suggest
> feature partially relies on metabib_field definitions. So I am planning on
> making changes to my metabib_field definitions. Specifically, I am changing
> the format, weight, and xpath values. I don't seem to need to re-ingest my
> records when I change the weight field, but do I need to re-ingest if I
> change the xpath or format values?

If you're changing an existing definition, and the change will
significantly modify what data gets extracted, you'll need to
reingest.  If you're creating a whole new definition, you'll all so
need to reingest.

In the case that you don't reingest, you probably want to restart
everything after the change, to avoid cache-related confusion.

> Also, what is the preferred way to trigger a re-ingest of all my records if
> I do need to re-ingest in this scenario.

That depends on the number of records.  A small test dataset could be
reingested in batch, but you'd want to do them in chunks or one at a
time if you have a larger dataset loaded. There are multiple ways to
do that, of course.

--
Mike Rylander