[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Patron search - limit results

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Feb 28 10:51:22 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 03:19:05PM +0000, Fiona Borthwick wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am hoping someone will be able to help us.  We have recently
> implemented Evergreen for a consortium in Scotland and there are
> already new members joining so this issue becomes more of a
> priority!  When doing a patron search, you can obviously limit the
> results to Everywhere, Local System or Branch. Our customers however
> want stricter control over this so that staff will NOT be able to
> search and retrieve patrons in consortium libraries other than their
> own local system.
>
> We have spent a lot of time looking at Permissions and testing with
> the VIEW_USER permission set to System level but this is having no
> effect.  One of my colleagues has looked at the page behind this but
> cannot see a way of setting this limit.
>
> This is a major issue for our customers and needs to be sorted out
> as soon as possible so I would be extremely grateful for any help!

Hi Fiona:

You want to enable the patron opt-in setting, I think.

In opensrf.xml, ensure the "<opt_in>" value is "true" as follows:

        <!-- global data visibility settings -->
        <share>
            <user>
                <!-- Set to "true" to require patron opt-in for foreign
(non-home_ou) transactions -->
                <opt_in>true</opt_in>
            </user>
        </share>

You'll need to restart Evergreen after changing this setting. This will
restrict default visibility of users to workstations registered with the
same library as the patron's home library.

I'm not sure this is currently documented in the standard Evergreen
documentation.

Dan