[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] How do other systems handle print notices?

Thomas Berezansky tsbere at mvlc.org
Wed Jan 11 08:57:07 EST 2012

We have handled this in two different manners. Kathy is likely
somewhat aware of both already, but for the benefit of everyone else:

For the first, we started with consortia-wide printing at our central
site. Generally, everyone got the same formatted output with minor
changes.

We handled that with the generate_circ_notices.pl script generating a
single XML file for output that we then parsed with a PHP script for
formatting on our ancient printers.

Issues with that method included the catch that all notices were going
out as the circ library, and we wanted billing notices to go out as
the item owning library (but overdue to continue to use the circ
library).

The newer one, that we are officially doing a "test run" of today,
uses a heavily modified generate_circ_notices.pl script to not only
output the circs but a handful of OU settings. A PHP script then reads
that XML file and generates PDF and/or CSV files based on the OU
settings, followed by sending emails about the generated files. We are
still limited to specific (in this case hard-coded) intervals, but
libraries can customize their output greatly just by editing the OU
settings.

I was planning on doing the newer one entirely in perl (with no XML
output needed), but found it easier to make PDF files in PHP, so I
went back to using PHP to parse the XML file.

Thomas Berezansky
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium