[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] integration of electronic content

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Jan 24 12:02:45 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Lori Ayre <loriayre at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I said, ebooks for sure and subscription databases if anyone has done that. I'm assuming not as to the latter.

That is still pretty meaningless to me. Do you mean "integration" in
the sense of just having links to ebooks / ejournals hosted somewhere
else, or embedding the content within the catalogue, or having the
search go against the full-text of the ebooks / ejournals / databases
and show up in federated results...?

For what it's worth, Conifer uses Evergreen's OpenURL look-up service
open-ils.resolver to check ISSNs and ISBNs against OpenURL resolvers
(and caches the result as some resolvers are pretty slow); if it finds
a match then it shows the result from the OpenURL resolver (including
coverage information for ejournals); failing that it falls back to the
located URI.

And of course we use the Google Books API for embedded views or
previews of books on the details page.