[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] accepting payments and crediting accounts when "lost" items is returned

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Jan 27 10:37:03 EST 2012

Hi Lori,

>>Can someone verify that this is true of Evergreen?
>>
>>Accept credit and debit card payments at accounts desks, self check-out
>>stations, and through the public web interface.  Payments should be
>>visible in the patron account immediately, and related blocks should be
>>removed immediately.

Yes, credit card payments can be made at account desks and through the
public web interface in Template Toolkit. I don't believe a public interface
for credit card payments is available in the jspac. I started testing this
on our own system a few weeks ago, but didn't get very far so can't
positively confirm that payments are visible on a patron account
immediately. However, payments in Evergreen usually are immediately visible
in the patron account, so I don't see why credit card payments would behave
any differently.

I don't know what's available for self check-out stations, but I do know
that Jason Stephenson from MVLC added SIP2 Fee Paid Message support, and
this support should be available in 2.2.

>>Also, do you know if you can apply a credit to a patron account if
>>they've been accessed a fine for a lost item and then it is returned?

There is a library setting to "void lost item billing when returned." If
this is set to true and an item is returned before the patron pays for the
lost item, the billing will be voided. If the patron has already paid for
the lost item, a refund will be applied to the patron account. There are
also settings to restore overdue fines when a lost item is returned (if
those overdues had been voided when the item was marked lost), generate new
overdue fines when the lost item is returned (for those days that have
passed since the item was marked lost) and to void lost processing fees when
a lost item is returned. There is a lot of flexibility here for determining
how the system handles returned lost items. FYI - I'm looking at a 2.2
system, so some of these settings may not be available in earlier versions
of Evergreen.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator