[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bar Code Readers, ISBN, and Amazon

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Tue Mar 13 19:50:23 EDT 2012

Hi Ted,

I think I've played with the program you've described, it ran on my
Macbook, but cost money so I didn't get as far as I would have liked.
It probably stores basic item information (simple stuff like title,
author, etc.) in a non-MARC format of some kind if it's generating data
from outside sources like Amazon.

With a full featured ILS like Evergreen (or Koha), information is
usually stored in a library format called MARC or some variant, like
marcxml in Evergreen's case.  While it would be interesting to build
something like a scanner to read ISBN of an item and then pre-populate
the data into Evergreen from third-party sources like Amazon, I'm not
sure how it'd have to be done in practice as far as linking that data
back up with internal MARC records.  There's certain cataloging rules,
etc. that librarians might be able to comment further on (read: I am not
a cataloger).  There has been talk in the past about projects to give
Evergreen more flexibility to support other data formats and not only
MARC, but those are just talk right now.

As with any open source project though, there's always potential growth
for the future, and I'd be curious to see if any others in the community
(developers and librarians alike) may think of a feature like the one
you've described.

Regards,

-- Ben

--