[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bar Code Readers, ISBN, and Amazon

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Mar 14 08:58:56 EDT 2012

Ted,

The Z39.50 gateway is a client–server protocol for searching and
retrieving information (http://www.loc.gov/z3950/gateway.html#about) and,
as Ben says, generally involves MARC (Machine Readable Cataloging)
formatted records entered according to cataloging standards
(Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, 2nd ed or AACR2). More information on
the MARC format can be found at http://www.loc.gov/marc/ . You can also
find a discussion of MARCXML and other standards on the Library of
Congress (LC) website -- http://www.loc.gov/standards/

Amazon probably stores their data in ONIX, which is a publishing protocol
for bibliographic data. While there are crosswalks between the two,
differences make it a little difficult to do a complete machine-based
transition. Another issue is the crosswalk between the ONIX data and
AACR2. My understanding is this will be a little easier once we implement
our new standard RDA (Resource Description and Access). My understand also
is that ONIX is much more flexible in transcription of bibliographic data
than is AACR2.

In general, we use the Z39.50 gateway to connect to either other libraries
(such as LC) or paid bibliographic utilities (such as OCLC or SkyRiver) to
retrieve bibliographic records in MARC format so that we do not have to
create the record ourselves. This is called copy cataloging and it saves
and enormous amount of time and money.

Since the Library of Congress is in the process of developing a
replacement  format for MARC, Evergreen will have to support at least one
other carrier format.

Hope this helps

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service,
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
404.235-7128
404.235-7201, fax