[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bar Code Readers, ISBN, and Amazon

Joel Harbottle Joel.Harbottle at hotmail.com.au
Wed Mar 14 17:30:04 EDT 2012

Hi Ted,

In your quest of finding a web-cam or smart-phone with a barcode reading
capability, your probably best, for your Librarian's sake, and for
productivity and ease, be easier to spend per say $150-$300 on a cheap but
decent barcode scanner.

As you would probably find your librarian would get frustrated very quickly
with having to look at a screen and line up the items barcode with the
webcam and wait 4-5 seconds for the computer to register the barcode with
Evergreen or Koha.

If you have a barcode reader, your librarian just scans the barcode and it
immediately reads and registers the barcode on the computer, because a
barcode reader just acts like a normal keyboard connected to a computer.

Hope this of some help.

Best Wishes,
Joel