[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bar Code Readers, ISBN, and Amazon

G. T. Stresen-Reuter tedmasterweb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 07:31:25 EDT 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Joel Harbottle wrote:

> If you have a barcode reader, your librarian just scans the barcode and it
> immediately reads and registers the barcode on the computer, because a
> barcode reader just acts like a normal keyboard connected to a computer.

Yeah.... that's all very true but I'm in a somewhat financially strained environment and even expenses as small as that (even buying one used) are sometimes subject to scrutiny and denied, so I was just sort of exploring the alternatives. Also, we have students who will probably end up doing a fair amount of the data entry and they won't care how long it takes ;-) (they'll thank me for making it take longer!)

Anyway, I completely agree and am already looking around for a reasonable solution.

Thanks for the ideas!

Ted