[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bar Code Readers, ISBN, and Amazon

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri Mar 16 07:26:46 EDT 2012

You can do direct entry, which would have the advantage for your student
workers of taking longer. However, the clear advantage a barcode scanner
has it that it reduces transcription errors -- which is extremely
important for item barcodes. If a typo is made in one of those, you might
not find out until at the circ desk when it will look like the item isn't
in the system.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service,
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
404.235-7128
404.235-7201, fax