[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bar Code Readers, ISBN, and Amazon

Denice Lee dlee at ci.lebanon.or.us
Fri Mar 16 11:06:51 EDT 2012

Please unsubscribe me from the list.
Thank you.

Denice Lee
Library Services Manager
Lebanon Public Library
55 Academy Street
Lebanon, OR 97355
541-258-4232
Fax 541-258-4958

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org
G. T. Stresen-Reuter
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 4:35 AM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bar Code Readers, ISBN, and Amazon

On Mar 16, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Hardy, Elaine wrote:

> You can do direct entry, which would have the advantage for your
student
> workers of taking longer.

And it will also help them develop their touch-typing skills, something
they need constant work on.

> However, the clear advantage a barcode scanner
> has it that it reduces transcription errors -- which is extremely
> important for item barcodes. If a typo is made in one of those, you
might
> not find out until at the circ desk when it will look like the item
isn't
> in the system.

Agreed. Also, although students will do *some* of the data entry, the
brunt of it will probably fall on the librarian herself.

I just want to say thanks again to all who have answered with their
ideas and input even though I haven't responded individually. I feel
more empowered than when I joined the list and hope that the ideas
presented help others in their time of need.

I suspect that in the end we're going to go with Koha (I'm actually an
experienced web developer so I am fairly comfortable with such systems)
and a basic bar code reader (I'll put up my own money if I have to,
grrr!) and I might even tweak the Koha code to get the book covers from
Amazon (will submit patch if I do).

Please don't be offended if I sign off of this list. Your help and input
is greatly appreciated but my inbox is already overflowing (inbox zero
is a pipe dream for me).

Sincerely,

Ted Stresen-Reuter
http://tedmasterweb.com