[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] GSOC query

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Mar 20 10:16:10 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mar 19, 2012, at 10:26 PM, Sajan Kedia wrote:
> I want to contribute to project "create android client(s) for evergreen". I am having 3 month summer vacation and i don't have any summer internship and i love to do development and programming so i will devote my full time to GSOC project. I just need a initial help about the project. Because here two app are given to be build :
> 	• a library patron app - enable a user to search the catalogue, renew items, manage holds, change their address information
> 	• an inventory app - attach a USB barcode scanner to a tablet and scan the collection
> i need the proper format of app, what should like be.

If you search the archives of the open-ils-general and open-ils-dev mailing lists, you find some earlier discussion of ideas for patron and staff Android applications for Evergreen, including a discussion of a mobile app that was developed for the King County Library System.  Some useful links to look at for ideas for your proposal to become a GSoC student include:

http://www.kcls.org//usingthelibrary/gomobilewithkcls/
http://kcls.boopsie.com/
http://code.google.com/p/evergreen-mobile-opac/

However, I would like to take your query as a springboard for a general question to the librarians on this list: what would you like to see in a patron-facing Android app?  And in a staff-facing one?

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton