[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Records displaying in the catalog

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Mon Mar 26 09:43:22 EDT 2012

Hello

The quick answer is yes.  There are a couple of ways to do this easily, but typically you would assign a record or group of records a "bibliographic source" that has a flag set to "true" for OPAC public display. In Evergreen documentation, you might see this referred to as either a "transcendent" source or transcendent record (meaning bibliographic records that should display in the OPAC even if no copies are attached).

When you import eBooks MARC records, you can select from a drop down list an appropriate record source you have already created - say "NetLibrary" - and those records will be set to display in your public catalogue without copies attached.  You can also add or change the record source from within the MARC Editor.

George

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan

________________________________
From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Trisha Cantwell Keene
Sent: March 25, 2012 09:32
To: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Records displaying in the catalog

New to Evergreen and as we contemplate converting our records I am curious about how people handle ebook and serial records which don't need barcodes. Is it possible to add records to the catalog and have them display to the public without adding items?

Thanks,
Trisha

--
Trisha Cantwell Keene
Associate Director

(207) 801-5661
(207) 288-2328 Fax
tcantwell at coa.edu<mailto:tcantwell at coa.edu>

"Google can bring you back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can
bring you back the right one."  The Guardian (London)