[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Should we have a systems administrators list?

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue May 1 20:41:29 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 5/1/2012 12:29 PM, Jason Etheridge wrote:
> But, as was said in IRC today, whatever gets folks talking and sharing...

And I'm consequently a mild +1 for the original proposal.

There is nothing in open-ils-dev's remit that should forbid or
discourage discussion of any technical topic, including system
administration.  Nonetheless, if there is active interest in a new
forum, I would rather that we let it run as a mindful experiment under
the Evergreen banner rather than risk the discussion not happening at
all or taking place elsewhere.  If a sysadmin list gets little traffic,
it is easy enough to close it, just as it would be easy to create it in
the first place.  If it seems to be wandering into the wheat fields (the
land of silos, natch), we can work together to draw it back into the fold.

However, I would like to riff off a comment that Dan Scott made on IRC
earlier today: if a sysadmin list gets created but folks start
"answering" questions with the response "You're on the wrong list!  Go
away!", I would immediately move to collapse *all* Evergreen project
into open-ils-general. ;)

Regards,

Galen
--