[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Ldirector Setup

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed May 2 12:23:20 EDT 2012

Hi,

On May 2, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Martha Driscoll wrote:
> I'm trying to get ldirector setup to load balance four bricks.  I think I'm trying to do something a bit unusual in that I'm only using one load balancer.  I'm not using heartbeat, but the man page for ldirector says 'ldirectord typically is started from heartbeat but can also be run from the command line'.  I can start it, but I'm not getting redirected to my apache brick heads.
>
> Does anyone have any good resources on setting up ldirector?  Has anyone set it up on only one load balancer?

We typically set up LVS load balancers to use LVS NAT -- in other words, setting up the load balancer as the default gateway for (at least) the web servers being load-balanced.  On the load balancer, that means:

[1] Enabling ip_forward
[2] Using 'masq' in ldirectord.cf, e.g.,

virtual=public-address:80
        real=app1:80 masq
        real=app2:80 masq
        # etc.
        #fallback=127.0.0.1:80 gate
        service=http
        request="ldirector.html"
        receive="Test Page"
        scheduler=wlc
        protocol=tcp
        checktype=negotiate

On the app servers, that means setting the load balancer as the default gateway.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton