[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] a question about cataloging

Joy Wandrey jwandrey at washingtonkylibrary.org
Wed May 2 17:38:23 EDT 2012

Hi All,
I hope someone can help us, we're relatively new to evergreen, and have had
a hard time. We have had evergreen for about two years now, but experienced
a server crash that took all our data last fall. We're still cleaning up
from this disaster, and running into some strange situations. We've been
live again since mid-january, and are essentially inventory-scanning every
item in the collection, as the old database that we had to go back to was 2
years old and was missing quite a bit of data itself.
That said, we have a couple of issues that I think are related.
In one case we have a book, The backyard Berry Book by Stella Otto, which
has no bib record in the system when you search for it by title. However,
it does show up when you scan the barcode, but attached to a different bib
record, one for an entirely different book. Strangely enough, with the
correct author, Otto.

In another case we have a quick-and-dirty record entered into the system
with a placeholder barcode, so that patrons could see that we do indeed own
that item. However, when the item actually comes to us and we scan it, it
shows up as mis-scanned or not cataloged. We then enter some basic info
like title and author (through the pre-cat process) and allow the patron to
check the item out. This invalidates the barcode on the item, so that we
have to then totally re-catalog that item and replace the barcode. None of
this connects the quick-and-dirty record to the item, so we then might have
a minimal record (author, title) for that item, but it needs to be found
and attached to the correct bib record. When these items are returned the
system tells us that they need to be routed to cataloging, which is fine.
However we don't really know how to fix this without having to replace the
barcode or throw out everything related to the title and start from
scratch.

What we have been doing so far when we find these things is to delete the
quick-and-dirty record, delete the pre-cat record, and start afresh. This
is a lot of work, and we're wondering if there's a better process we could
be using.
We also don't have any idea how to remove an item record from one bib
record and attach it to a different bib record, which would solve a lot of
these issues I think.
If anyone is willing to help us out with this we would be forever in your
debt.
Thanks so much for reading this far.
Joy

--
Joy Wandrey
Director
jwandrey at washingtonkylibrary.org
help at washingtonkylibrary.org

Disclaimer: Inclusion of information in an e-mail discussion list message
should not be construed as an endorsement by the Washington County Public
Library. Opinions or points of view expressed in an e-mail discussion list
message are those of the contributor and do not necessarily reflect those
of the Washington County Public Library. This message is intended only for
those to whom it is addressed, if you have received this message in error
please delete it immediately.