[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] a question about cataloging

sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us
Wed May 2 18:07:27 EDT 2012

Hi Joy,
Sorry to hear about your data woes. As far as items attached to
the wrong record, sometimes a few items will go astray during
migration.  The best thing to do is to transfer the item to the
correct bib record.

Transferring items (moving an item from one bib record to another)
is pretty easy, but unfortunately there are a lot of basic tasks
like this that still haven't made it to the official
documentation.  We have a lot of these processes in our docs at
Indiana, though. Some of this info is local to us, and right now
most of it for 1.6, but it should give you some help.

Here's all of our cataloging documentation:

http://www.in.gov/library/3381.htm

Chapter 10 covers transferring items.
http://www.in.gov/library/files/Cataloging_Training_Manual_Chapter10.pdf

Chapter 22 covers dealing with Pre-Cats. Specifically, check out
page 22.11 for transferring pre-cat items to a bibliographic
record.

You could transfer your pre-cat item to your quick and dirty
record, and then delete the place holder barcode. At that point
you can overlay or edit the quick and dirty record.

http://www.in.gov/library/files/Cataloging_Training_Manual_Chapter22.pdf

I hope this is helpful, and this type of question is welcome over
on the Cataloging List, as well.

Sarah Childs
Senior Cataloger
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
250 North Fifth Street
Zionsville, IN 46077
317-873-3149 x13330
sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us

> Hi All,
> I hope someone can help us, we're relatively new to evergreen,
and
> have had
> a hard time. We have had evergreen for about two years now, but
> experienced
> a server crash that took all our data last fall. We're still
> cleaning up
> from this disaster, and running into some strange situations.
> We've been
> live again since mid-january, and are essentially
> inventory-scanning every
> item in the collection, as the old database that we had to go
back
> to was 2
> years old and was missing quite a bit of data itself.
> That said, we have a couple of issues that I think are related.
> In one case we have a book, The backyard Berry Book by Stella
> Otto, which
> has no bib record in the system when you search for it by title.
However,
> it does show up when you scan the barcode, but attached to a
> different bib
> record, one for an entirely different book. Strangely enough,
with
> the
> correct author, Otto.
>
> In another case we have a quick-and-dirty record entered into
the
> system
> with a placeholder barcode, so that patrons could see that we do
indeed own
> that item. However, when the item actually comes to us and we
scan
> it, it
> shows up as mis-scanned or not cataloged. We then enter some
basic
> info
> like title and author (through the pre-cat process) and allow
the
> patron to
> check the item out. This invalidates the barcode on the item, so
that we
> have to then totally re-catalog that item and replace the
barcode.
> None of
> this connects the quick-and-dirty record to the item, so we then
might have
> a minimal record (author, title) for that item, but it needs to
be
> found
> and attached to the correct bib record. When these items are
> returned the
> system tells us that they need to be routed to cataloging, which
is fine.
> However we don't really know how to fix this without having to
> replace the
> barcode or throw out everything related to the title and start
> from
> scratch.
>
> What we have been doing so far when we find these things is to
> delete the
> quick-and-dirty record, delete the pre-cat record, and start
> afresh. This
> is a lot of work, and we're wondering if there's a better
process
> we could
> be using.
> We also don't have any idea how to remove an item record from
one
> bib
> record and attach it to a different bib record, which would
solve
> a lot of
> these issues I think.
> If anyone is willing to help us out with this we would be
forever
> in your
> debt.
> Thanks so much for reading this far.
> Joy
>

> --
> Joy Wandrey
> Director
> Washington County Public Library
> 210 E. Main Street
> Springfield, KY 40069
> 859-336-7655
> fax 859-336-0256
> jwandrey at washingtonkylibrary.org
> help at washingtonkylibrary.org
>

> Disclaimer: Inclusion of information in an e-mail discussion
list
> message
> should not be construed as an endorsement by the Washington
County
> Public
> Library. Opinions or points of view expressed in an e-mail
> discussion list
> message are those of the contributor and do not necessarily
> reflect those
> of the Washington County Public Library. This message is
intended