[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cataloging Audio Visual equipment

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Mon May 14 15:15:57 EDT 2012

PINES catalogers catalog equipment for circulation frequently. However, we
do our original cataloging on OCLC and bring the record into PINES. We
don't catalog directly into PINES unless the item is ephemeral in nature
and won't be retained.

The Type would be r : "Three-dimensional artifact or naturally occurring
object. Models, dioramas, games, puzzles, simulations, sculptures and
other three-dimensional art works, exhibits, machines, clothing, toys, and
stitchery." See http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/fixedfield/type.shtm and
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bdleader.html

Call numbers are up to individual libraries in PINES and are dependent on
the needs of their patrons and the library staff. So we see a wide
variation in how equipment and realia are classified. Some use AV, some
are specific - 16MM projector, some are just EQUIPMENT.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy

PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager

Georgia Public Library Service,

A Unit of the University System of Georgia

1800 Century Place, Suite 150

Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128

404.235-7201, fax