[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Permission groups

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Thu May 24 12:04:35 EDT 2012

Hi Glen,

I believe the application_perm entry is used to define whether another
given group has the ability to edit users of the group with the perm.

So say for example, you create a patron group called "Child", if you set
that group with an application_perm like "group_application.user.child"
then only a patron group with that particular permission will have the
ability to view / add people to that Child Group.  Like say if my
"Circulator" group had that permission associated with them, they could
see "Child" in the Profile dropdown, but if the "Cataloger" group did
not, they would not be able to create / save "Child" patrons.

If the field is blank, I believe it defaults to the parent groups,
meaning that if you're creating these new groups under "Staff" it's
likely that they inherit something like "group_application.user.staff"
as the type.  But your average circulator/cataloger account wouldn't
have staff editing powers so they wouldn't be able to see those groups
while creating new patrons.

Conceptually, it's important to be clear that "Staff" groups and
"Patron" groups share the same parts of the database, so you may
actually need to have "Staff Patrons" as a group to keep them distinct
from "Staff" as various login types for the staff client.  Though
Evergreen is flexible enough to support any user login if you grant them
the permissions to use staff functionality.

Hope that helps somewhat... permission groups can be tricky at first.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum
Open Source Software Coordinator