[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Mobile catalog?

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Nov 8 09:34:13 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 09:06:13AM -0500, Ben Shum wrote:
> I think you're thinking of the Bill Erickson's "Beanstalk" simple
> TPAC that was a sample mobile catalog. http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/collab/berick/beanstalk
>
> Also, I guess Bill Ott, GRPL took that code and ran with it some.
> See http://catalog.grpl.org/eg/tinypac/home which is what I get when
> browsing them from my phone.

Yep. I will admit to deliberately not mentioning beanstalk in my initial
response because I think the approach of carving out different sets of
HTML for different browsers (whether mobile or desktop based) is
difficult to test and maintain, versus defining the content that you
want in your HTML once and changing the layout via CSS based on the
display capabilities of the consuming browser. And it seems that Google,
at least, agrees that responsive design is the best practice:
https://developers.google.com/webmasters/smartphone-sites/details