[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Mobile catalog?

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Nov 8 10:46:53 EST 2012

Hi all,

I don't know the best way to develop and maintain an Evergreen mobile
site, but I wouldn't say the native catalog is particularly mobile
friendly. The GRPL example is much closer to what I would call a mobile
friendly site. I would expect the mobile catalog to be more stripped
down than the native tpac skin. I visited some 2.3/master catalogs after
reading the initial e-mail, and I still need to do zooming as soon as I
reach the catalog to read the screen. What I would envision on a truly
mobile site is:

1. On the main catalog page, I am immediately presented with a search
box front and center, similar to what happens when I arrive at Google's
mobile site. Font sizes should be bigger so I don't need to zoom. I
would expect the filters to be below the search box to fit to the screen
better, as we see in the GRPL mobile site. However, even on the GRPL
site, I need to zoom to get that search box front and center. A
prominent link to "My Account" would also be needed. Many libraries use
the bottom space of their main page for graphic images, search tips, or
other extraneous material. I wouldn't want to see that piece of the page
displaying on a mobile site because it takes up valuable real estate.

2. On the search results page, I want to see a list of titles that, once
again, is front and center without the need to do any zooming. I think
the bibliographic information should be minimal on a mobile site and the
"place hold" link prominent. I would also like to see the call number
for the library I am searching here. We often think of users searching a
mobile catalog from home, but, as a library user, I never use the public
catalogs in my library anymore. I find it much more convenient to walk
around the stacks with my iPhone in hand. I would either entirely
scratch the facets on the search results page or find another way to
provide access to them. For example, in a typical browser, Amazon
provides limiters in the left sidebar of its search results. When I
access Amazon on my phone, those limiters are located at the bottom of
the screen, and I get a "Choose a Department" option at the top of my
search results that brings me to those limiters.

3. The mobile catalog should also have the ability to link to the full
version of the catalog (as I saw in the GRPL example) so that people who
want to access added content or features can do so. In those cases, the
person is actively choosing to do that pinching and zooming dance.

4. Geolocation would also be a great addition to the catalog,
particularly for consortia and multi-branch libraries. It could identify
the library that is nearest to the user and possibly set it as the
default search location.

I don't remember where I saw them, but I recall seeing some screenshots
last summer from the GSOC project to build an Evergreen Android app. If
I remember correctly, the app did a lot of the things identified above.
Personally, I prefer a mobile site over an app because I'm guessing some
users won't want to go through the trouble of downloading an app to
search the catalog. Also, as an iPhone owner, the Android app wouldn't
be useful to me.

I'm curious if others have thoughts on what would make the catalog more
mobile friendly.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator