[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] How to set up Syndetic AddedContent in TPAC? (EG 2.2.0)

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Fri Nov 9 13:22:25 EST 2012

Oh Yamil, I just re-read your email and realize now that you're on 2.2.
In that case, there is no UPC lookup for Syndetics in the catalog, it's
ISBN only I think.  The work Jeff Godin is doing for UPC matching can be
found in this bug ticket, slated for 2.4 alpha:

I can tell you that in my experience we gained very little out of the
additional UPC lookups once we applied the initial concept code to our
system.  Syndetics didn't have many covers even if we had the UPC in our
records, which it didn't always.

So your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't expect it to be very great
regardless.

-- Ben

On 11/09/2012 01:14 PM, Yamil Suarez wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Thanks! I think it working now, but I might be dealing with a lack of
> enough UPC data or bad UPC data in my records to appreciate how well
> it is actually working.
>
> I might post another question when I am done researching this more.
>
> Thanks again,
> Yamil
>

> On Nov 9, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Ben Shum wrote:
>
>> Hi Yamil,
>>
>> Not sure about the default providers, but my opensrf.xml has a line
>> like:
>>
>> <base_url>http://syndetics.com/index.aspx</base_url>
>>
>> Which follows the module definition.
>>
>> I'm guessing that's necessary to perform the lookups too.
>>
>> -- Ben
>>
>> On 11/09/2012 12:19 PM, Yamil Suarez wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to set up Syndetic AddedContent in TPAC on EG 2.2.0. I
>>> am not 100% sure how to properly set up TPAC to use Syndetic. I have
>>> followed the instructions listed on the official documentation for
>>> both 1.6[1] and 2.0[2] (since they are the same), and I cannot yet
>>> get it to work on my test server. So far I have updated my
>>> opensrf.xml file by updating the "<module>" tag inside the
>>> "<added_content>" tag to say...
>>>
>>> <module>OpenILS::WWW::AddedContent::Syndetic</module>
>>>
>>> I also updated the "<userid>" tag with the client ID supplied by
>>> Syndetic. Finally, I restarted opensrf and Apache.
>>>

>>> So far no cover images are showing up, though I was expecting cover
>>> images for books or CDs (that have UPC values in MARC records) to
>>> work. Book covers had been showing up great using OpenLibrary from
>>> the default install configuration. For the record, my contract with
>>> Syndetic is for album and book covers only.
>>>

>>> I checked the Apache error log and I got this...
>>>
>>> root at evergreen-xen:~# tail -f /var/log/apache2/error.log
>>> [Thu Nov 08 16:00:55 2012] [error] [client 10.4.45.167] File does
>>> not exist: /openils/var/web/js/dojo/dojo/openils_dojo.js, referer:
>>> http://10.4.45.11/eg/opac/results?fi%3Aitem_type=j&query=mariah+carey&qtype=author&locg=1
>>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>>> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/OpenILS/WWW/AddedContent/Syndetic.pm
>>> line 256.
>>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>>> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/OpenILS/WWW/AddedContent/Syndetic.pm
>>> line 256.
>>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>>> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/OpenILS/WWW/AddedContent/Syndetic.pm
>>> line 256.
>>>

>>> And here is line 256 from that file referenced in the error....
>>>

>>> 252 # returns the HTTP response object from the URL fetch
>>> 253 sub fetch_response {
>>> 254     my( $self, $page, $key, $notype ) = @_;
>>> 255     my $uname = $self->userid;