[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Client software and Windows 8

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Tue Nov 13 11:56:17 EST 2012

On Nov 5, 2012, at 20:10 , David Busby wrote:

> Could this be an opportunity for the Linux client to become what replaces the current Windows XP,V,7 installations when their time comes?  Linux based staff clients could be used to upgrade, could possibly even re-purpose some hardware.

I certainly would hope it is an opportunity. It's possible. The MS momentum (or inertia) is certainly strong though, so I'm not holding my breath. Whether or not libraries would be willing to seriously consider GNU/Linux-based operating systems for desktop software, probably depends on what other Windows-based software they are locked into, not just the ILS. And then there is the cost of change, which may be perceived as higher than that of MS licensing. I think any growth of library adoption of Linux we could observe would likely come in the form of Android on tablets, not not so much from Ubuntu on desktops.

However, I think if the Evergreen staff client was available through native repositories of a few top Linux distributions, that would be a worthy goal.

> Did you all know that the Evergrenn staff client is functional from a Raspberry Pi A (that's 700MHz ARM w/256M RAM).  I've got a picture from my phone:
> http://demo.ils.edoceo.com/images/raspberry-berry.png  - that's a staff-client on a $35 computer.
>
> It runs a bit faster from a model B.

This is quite amazing, actually, but in terms of practical use in libraries, how would it get used? Evergreen appliance?