[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] grace period and reserve materials

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Nov 14 14:49:28 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:01:55PM -0500, Gordana Vitez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a question re: hourly loan materials, like reserves, that
> accrue fines at an hourly rate. How are other libraries dealing with
> the grace period for these hourly loans? Ideally, we'd like to see
> fines charged as soon as the item is overdue. I realize this seems
> like a really ogre-ly thing to want, but we need to get reserves back
> in a timely manner for the next person.
>
> Is there a setting I can play with to remove the grace period on
> reserve items only?

I think you need to look at least two things:

1) Admin -> Server Administration -> Circulation Recurring Fine Rules &
edit the "Grace Period" column of the rule(s) that are applied to your
reserve items.

2) Run the fine_generator script (via cron) on a much more frequent
basis. I think the default recommended time frame is daily, but ours
runs every 15 minutes. (We might need to look at optimizing the script
if we want it to run every minute... haven't tried going that far!)