[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] MARC templates

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Tue Nov 27 11:06:48 EST 2012

<asterisks>
>  It doesn't not seem as a bad idea to me,  but I wonder if it could cause a
> problem  in  Evergreen in the case  that the catalogers forget to fill in
> the  right data and asterisk would remain in the MARC record hen it is
> saved.

Just a point to consider.  There have been many times when I have
migrated data from other systems into Evergreen and encounter values
like "*** REQUIRED FIELD ***".  Without teeth to enforce the
restrictions, people will either forget, or choose to skip the needed
data entry, maybe with the idea of coming back later (and then
forgetting).

That said, we could develop a framework for enforcing restrictions in
the MARC, given will and resources.

-- Jason