[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] A question of ownership

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Nov 28 17:04:10 EST 2012

Hi Don,

I don't believe you should have any trouble if your providers are owned
by ATS. We have some multi-branch library systems using acquisitions,
and  their providers are owned by the system as well. When they import
their records, they include in the branch's shortname in the owning
library subfield. For example, if your owning_lib subfield is b, you
could add ATS-BLF or ATS-DCL to your 970 b subfield to identify which
branch owns the copy. In our case, the owning and circulation library is
always the branch, so it doesn't cause any problems for us. I'm guessing
development would be required to be able to distinguish between owning
and circulation library with acquisitions order records.

However, we have come across a couple of problems with identifying the
system as the context org unit when uploading order records.

* If the fund identified in your 970 field is owned by the branch, the
upload will fail. We resolved this by only creating funds that are owned
by the system-level org unit. In cases where we needed to track fund
accounting for individual branches, we created separate funds for those
branches that were owned by the system, and used fund tags to help with
reporting for those branches. I don't think I ever filed a bug on this
issue, but I can check and add one if it isn't there.

* If the copy location identified in your 970 field is owned by the
branch, it also will fail. There is a development branch to fix this at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1058306 that has not yet been
merged into Evergreen. Unfortunately, I had issues unrelated to the code
when I tried testing this branch, so I wasn't able to sign off on it.

Regarding your question on 949 tags, I don't see any reason why you
wouldn't be able to use them. You would just need to identify the 949
tag in the provider record and add the appropriate subfield information
in the holding subfield area of the provider record.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator