[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Public libraries and digital content management

Tara Robertson information.detective at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 10:15:51 EDT 2012

Hi,

I think you might be confusing two different things: making electronic
resources findable in the catalogue and the difference between an ILS and
an ERMS.

You can load MARC records that represent an electronic database, an ebook
title, a physical object, or whatever. Cataloguers can catalogue most
things. I think there are even MARC records that represent a set of bobble
head dolls. The ILS doesn't matter, you can load a MARC record for Academic
Search Premier into Polaris or into Evergreen.

An ILS and ERMS are different types of systems, designed to do different
things.

   - ILS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_library_system (mostly
   tracks the physical collection)
   - ERMS:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Resource_Management_System (mostly
   for electronic or online collections). An example of an open source ERMS is
   CUFTS: http://researcher.sfu.ca/cufts

I've heard some folks say that the proprietary ILS market has shifted and
for many vendors the ILS is mostly cheap giveway where the vendor is
charging heftier fees is with the ERMS and discovery layer that might
integrate really well with the ILS,

ERMS are pretty common for academic libraries (who need to track where you
can get the full text of an article) and seem much less common in public
libraries.

It might be better to reply to the list so we can build on each other's
has a similar question.

Hope this helps,
Tara