[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Public libraries and digital content management

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Tue Oct 2 08:58:08 EDT 2012

I thick Tracy's point is that public libraries tend not to have bib
records for their electronic journals in their ILSs so you have to search
in the separate database to find out if they have access to a specific
title rather than staying with the ILS, finding a title with an active
link to that database. Which, at least in Georgia, is true.

There are a variety of reasons for that lack, principally that public
libraries tend not to catalog their print magazines either. Public library
catalogers often are not trained to catalog serials and, for print
formats, only keep a year or so. Since electronic databases for journals
and magazines often include hundreds of titles, it is rare for cataloging
staff to have time to add the records and indicate holdings.

While we would love to have each title in our ILSs, it just isn't always
practical given the small staffs in most tech services departments.

Elaine

  _____

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128