[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Importing from ISBN

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Sat Oct 13 21:18:50 EDT 2012

> Are we saying that there are 2 methods to add books?

Depends on how abstract you get.  :-)  There are lots of options,
especially if you go under the hood.  In the staff client, you can
import MARC records with holding tags.  You can also add items via the
Fast Add option in the MARC Editor.   Or can click on Add Volumes in
the bib summary, or from the Actions for this Record menu, or go to
Holdings Maintenance and add an item that way.  I'm more fuzzy on the
acquisitions system, but you can specify holdings and barcodes through
it.

> 1) import a batch Marc record. But then it's a manual thing to add it to holdings.

No, it's possible to batch import holdings, for example, through
holding tags in the MARC.  But depending on how you go about it, it
could be the same amount of work or more as just adding the items in
the staff client.

> 2) use a z39.50 server to search for it and use a fast add to add it to holdings in one step?

Right, you can do this.  It's not quite one step, but the sequence of
actions is an intended workflow.

Z39.50 Search -> Select Record -> click Import -> MARC editor spawns
-> specify Fast Item Add and save record -> Item Editor spawns -> Save
Item

Or, you can import without spawning the MARC editor (there's a
checkbox for that in later versions of EG), and just use the Add
Volumes action when the imported bib displays itself in the catalog.

-- Jason