[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] could Chef be used to install and maintain Evergreen?

Tara Robertson information.detective at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 17:16:36 EDT 2012

I'm super energized and excited about a whole bunch of things after
attending the Access 2012 conference in Montreal. There was an awesome
session from Graham Stewart, Network and Storage Services Manager, from the
University of Toronto called Cooking with Chef at the U of T Libraries:
Automated Deployment of Web Applications in a Library Context.

He demoed Chef and ran a bunch of cookbooks to set up an instance of
Islandora while he was doing his talk. Here's the notes from his talk:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1X-j0tEsm8jhGEGl7mp9BIu0XZZid0x4FX8gVWm9kC5w

His talk got me wondering if it was possible to use Chef to install and
maintain instances of Evergreen. If someone were to write the relevant
cookbooks, then could they be reused by other people? I suspect there's
some things that would need tweaking (but with limited knowledge I'm not
sure what they would be).

I chatted with Graham during the break. He was excited about the idea of
doing this with Evergreen and said that he'd be happy to answer any
questions:
graham.stewart at utoronto.ca

Chris Cormack shared this link Deploying Koha from git with Chef :
http://halcyoncorsair.tumblr.com/post/31841813338/deploying-koha-from-git-with-chef

Would there be benefits to using Chef? How much of a pain would it be to
write the requisite cookbooks? Would new cookbooks need to be written for
each version of Evergreen? For each version of XULrunner, Postgres and...?

Cheers,
Tara