[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Staff client software vs. web-based interface

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Sep 20 11:35:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich
<alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu> wrote:
> What is the reason for lack of "official" releases of staff client software for Mac OS (and Linux)?  Is it strategy, because there is no need, or like with some other things, not enough volunteers?

I don't think it's a strategy per se, just more a lack of volunteers.
If somebody were to step forward and volunteer to package OS X clients
as part of the release-cutting process, I think that would be welcomed
with open arms.  Even better would be if somebody could submit a patch
to automate building them.  Triple-word-score if it could be done
without requiring an OS X box.

Similiarly, if somebody were to step up and get involved in packing
the Linux clients for various distributions, that would be great.  The
technical bar is lower, as Thomas' good work with the staff client
autoupdate mechanism means that it's become quite easy to build Linux
clients; at this point the main question is whether somebody is up to
maintaining and testing .deb or ..rpm.

Regards,

Galen
--